Tuesday, August 24, 2010

LED Wall Project (Nerd Alert!)

As you know, I am not a nerd. But, I like to surround myself with nerds to boost my self esteem. Just kidding! Kinda… Recently, by the law of proximity, I became part of a project that became a minor internet celebrity of its own. I am now either loved or hated as the “dancing banana girl”. Not sure if I should be proud or embarrassed!

WHAT IT’S ALL ABOUT

The LED wall idea came about as a thought that wouldn’t it be cool to have a display on a wall in your house where anyone in the world could come to a website and leave a drawing or message. If you’re lucky, the video may be online and you will get to make your own drawing and then see your drawing live! To learn more about the LED wall, be sure to click through the Why?, How, and Credits links.  If you have a few minutes, watch the video at the bottom of this post or the one on the How page which nicely sums up the project visually. As of a month after the video was posted, it has received well over 13,000 views!

(Beware: Not all people on the internet have the same good taste as you so some drawings may be deemed offensive. You have been warned!) 

NOTORIETY

The project was found and featured on a few popular “nerd” websites including:

MY CONTRIBUTIONS

  • Tested LEDs to be sure they worked.
  • Hot glued LEDs onto the giant pegboard.
  • Sorted and labeled wires after they were all soldered. There were a LOT of them.
  • Acted silly while wearing a banana costume.

I also brought cookies I’d made which were quickly devoured by all the male cookie monsters in attendance.

Maybe I am a nerd, at the very least I’m sure I’m one for enjoying hanging out with everyone while this project was assembled!

(LED Wall from kennyc on Vimeo.)

3 comments:

  1. Hey that was really cool!!! SO, who's going to hang it where?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The LED wall belongs to Norman so it'll hang on a wall somewhere in his condo...living room probably??

    ReplyDelete
  3. You not a nerd? ha! :P be proud of nerdness, its all good. It is a badge of honour! :) It was good to see you by the way! You look the same time and you are right, you may sound "different" cuz it has been forever...

    ReplyDelete