Monday, August 23, 2010

Triathlon Training 2010: Week 10

DAY SCHEDULED ACTUAL COMMENTS
Monday OFF OFF I was out of town the first half of this week so didn’t really do anything but it’s supposed to mostly be a rest week anyway so I didn’t worry too much.
Tuesday Swim: 500 yards
Run: 30 min
OFF See Monday comment.
Wednesday Bike: 15 miles OFF See Monday comment.
Thursday OFF DDR I played the Dance Dance Revolution game on the computer with Kendall for a while which is definitely a workout unto itself.
Friday Swim: 200 yards
Run: 15 min
Volleyball Played volleyball for a couple hours. A great workout and one of my favorite sports to play.
Saturday RACE DAY! OFF Intended to do the triathlon today but it didn’t work out.
Sunday OFF Swim: 400 yards
(10.5 min,
2.6 min/100 yds)

T1:
3.5 min

Bike:
12 miles
(1 hr 8 min,
5.6 min/mile)

T2:
2.5 min

Run:
5k/3.1 miles
(45.5 min,
14.7 min/mile)

TOTAL:
2 hrs 10 min
The swim went really well, I think it was the first time I swam continuously for the required distance.

The transition from swimming to biking was probably less than ideal since I had to deal with a backpack and getting out of the pool complex which wouldn’t be a factor in a real race. My legs only felt a slight bit like jello but that feeling quickly disappeared once on the bike.

The biking went well too. Didn’t have to deal with traffic too many times thankfully. I could really tell the longer trail rides I’d been doing had helped.

The next transition was much easier since I was mostly dropping things off and didn’t have to deal with a packing things like pool keycards and goggles into a backpack anymore.

The run was more of a walk and the most difficult part as expected. Not to mention it was last. I’d trained the least for running so anticipated it wouldn’t go nearly as well as the rest but I knew I would be able to walk at the very least. I could tell my muscles were getting tired. My calf muscles got really tight and my lungs started burning and heart rate increasing when I tried to run so could only do that in very short bursts.

I did it!

Overall Thoughts:

  • The saying goes you can do anything you put your mind to. It’s easy to believe it when you’re not trying to do anything. It’s harder to believe when you’re working to achieve something. But, it feels oh so good when you actually do something that took work.
  • I never signed up for the official triathlon because I did not feel prepared enough especially for the running portion and I also did not have a proper bike. I ride a knobby tire mountain bike instead of the smooth tire road bike. So, I saved my money and made my own triathlon around where we live. I’m lucky enough to have a neighborhood pool I could use to do this.
  • It was hard BUT, at this point, I’m ready to do it again! Am I crazy? Yeah, probably. The schedule has been a great motivator for me to do regular exercise which was one of my main goals. Now I don’t know what I’m going to do because I’ve gotten used to training as part of my life. Maybe I’ll try to do an official one or start training for longer lengths! For sure I need to work on running more at the very least.

Here is the Google spreadsheet I made to track my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment