Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Triathlon Training: Week 1

Monday Schedule: OFF Actual: OFF Tuesday Schedule: Run: 15 min Actual: Run: 20 min (~1.5 miles, ~13.3 min/mile) Comments: Found a local park nearby with a 0.5-mile fitness trail to run at that is quite nice. I really did not do much running as I am out of shape. I was supposed to walk 5 minutes then alternate run 1 minute and walk 1 minute for the rest. But, I found I could only run at most for 30 seconds then walk 1.5 minutes! This is going to be a long road. Wednesday Schedule: Bike: 5 miles Actual: Bike: 4.75 miles (~42 minutes, ~8.8 min/mile) Comments: Kendall came with me but on rollerblades and said he would like to join me in this triathlon adventure as he needs to get into better shape also. Yay! We explored our neighborhood and he had gps tracking setup on his phone so we knew where we had gone and how far! Very helpful if you decide not to follow your original planned path mid-way through the trip. Learned that cycling without bringing water along is a TERRIBLE idea! Agua es muy importante! Thursday Schedule: Swim: 200 yards Actual: OFF Comments: Went to Dick's Sporting Goods store to buy swim goggles. Friday Schedule: OFF Actual: Swim: 200 yards (~30 minutes maybe not sure) Comments: The pool water was chilly! Kendall opted to jump right in and was finished with 300 yards before I finally inched my entire body in. I wasn't sure I could remember how to swim with my head underwater. The suggested swimming stroke is freestyle but I did a combination of breast, side, back, and free to complete the distance. I learned I need to work on breathing as I am sucking in more water than air so resorted to lifting my entire head up and out of the water. Saturday Schedule: Run: 15 min Actual: OFF Comments: Was lazy and did not do anything. Shameful! I felt really bad about it too and had a grumpy attitude because of it. Sunday Schedule: Bike: 5 miles Actual: OFF Comments: Out of town this day. Overall Thoughts: Side effects I'm already noticing: more energy, higher body temperature (especially at work where I'm usually freezing), and hunger!! Read that if you skip a day of training to let it be water under the bridge. It's important to just keep going and not to worry about making up the missed activity. Also, try not to miss more than one day in a row. It is important to reinforce the habit of exercising and it's more difficult to do so when you skip more than one day at a time.

3 comments:

  1. Nice post.... good to read about your efforts! It's hard to get started, even harder to keep going (I'm learning that the hard way) but eventually it's supposed to be worthwhile. Let me know when you get there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Cat and Kendall!!!
    I ejoyed reading your post.

    Kelly and Christian are in the swim team and we have been doing cardio for 35 to 40 minutes 4 times a week since a long time.
    They told me that swimming is much harder than cardio i belive that is true. and Si, tomar mucha agua es muy importante:)
    Keep up the good work,
    Lorena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks y'all! It's nice to hear about others exercise efforts as well. I think it's encouraging to know others are suffering along with you. ;) But, it is for the better good of our health. Not sure if I can call it enjoyable just yet but I do feel better when I exercise so I definitely take that.

    ReplyDelete